The lid for the tongue box will also use wood that was bent using the steam box method. I used a flush mount router bit to copy the shape of the enclosure bottom for the bottom of the lid box. The only difference is the overall width, as the shape of the tear makes the lid about 6 inches narrower. I used a 1/2" piece of birch plywood for the base.
A dry fit test showed the the pieces that I cut with the CNC machine were about 1/4" too long on both sides. Since the new lid bottom is the appropriate size, I just used a angle grinder to make adjustments to the shape so that it fits.
I clamped the pieces together with just enough pressure where I was able to flip the entire thing upside down to add Gorilla glue.
Although not shown here, I did use a combination of clamps in addition to the weights to ensure the CNC pieces were glued to the lid bottom firmly. In this picture, you can see the results after grinding the edges down to be flush with the lid bottom.
My plan is to fill the inside of the lid with foam, which will be shaved down so the entire lid is smooth. This will provide a better surface to mount the bent wood. No one will ever see the inside of the lid, and foam is very light. I needed to create some make-shift walls so that the foam would not just run out all over the floor. Duct tape is not pretty, but it did the to hold the foam in place.
It took 3 cans of the tall foam to fill the lid. It expanded more than it show sin the picture, which is fine since it will be shaved down.
I'll be using 3" wide strips of oak that were bent on a template after being in the steam box. Here is the sketchup of the template.
Here is a test piece of Red Oak in the mold. Each piece has to stay in the mold about a week before moving to be installed on the lid.
After using a surfoam to shave off the excess foam, you can now see the shape of the lid box sitting on top of the box frame. The foam didn't set nicely in some areas as I was too impatient to wait for warmer temperatures. I plan on adding more foam, and it's supposed to warm up nicely in the next couple of days
After a second helping of foam, I spent time tonight getting it shaped down to the final form and ready for applying wood this weekend.
Using a Surfoam, I removed all the excess foam until I got the shape I was looking for.
I applied a layer of epoxy to the wood and foam to give it a rigid surface. This will help when I go to add the wood, as I'll have a bit more surface area to apply glue. I'll add my first piece this weekend as a test.
Adding epoxy straight to the foam was a bad idea. It caused some unexpected results, so I'm now using Bondo to fill in any gaps and low spots. I'll need to sand down, and reapply multiple layers until I get a smooth surface. I now plan on adding Fiberglass over the top of the bondo to seal everything in.
After multiple layers of bondo and sanding, I got the lid to be pretty smooth and ready for fiberglass. I'm adding the glass to not only seal the foam filled lid, but so that the wood strips that I'm adding will have a better surface to adhere to.
The fiberglas becomes translucent once epoxy is added.
Fully dry, now a quick sanding to take down any bumps or high spots. I also sanded and sealed the bottom and back with epoxy resin. It's ready for the wood exterior.
Added an additional steam bending mold to finish the tongue box lid, as well as the door rain gutter moldings. Should be able to finish the lid trim over the winter if I keep the wood on the molds for a week or two at a time.
After taking the strips off the mold, I glued them to the top of the lid. Since there is a bit of bounce back in the oak, I needed to screw them into the lid as well. This will be covered by a trim strip when all is said and done.
I used clamps to pull the rounded end of the stip back into shape. I used expandable glue to ensure the it makes a good seal.
I also screwed the ends into the lid base to help relieve stress on the glue. You can see from the strip on the left how far I need to pull the wood in with the clamps. These screws will also be covered by a trip strip when the lid is finished.
With the clamps, the strips get a nice snug connection with the lid base.
Although I don't like to use the screws to hold everything together, they will be removed and hidden by trim pieces.
The outside edge pieces were screwed into the plywood underneath to provide extra hold when bending and clamping the pieces to the box lid.
The corner pieces present a challenge, but I'll custom cut and bend pieces to fit the gaps. The pieces are thick enough so that I'll be able to sand the corners smooth. At least that is the plan.
Just checking the look of the lid on the box.
I took a break in 2015 from the project while I moved. I worked here and there on the tongue box lid, but still have some pieces to bend in the steamer for the top. In the meantime, I'm started the process of removing excess material from the inside of the lid, as this is just unnecessary weight. Once the foam and wood structural pieces are removed, there will be a potential for storage as well. I used a router to remove the plywood, but left enough of a border to fit the top of the box to create a seal. I'll use a grinder to remove excess wood.